Saturday, June 7, 2014

Do Second Race Cards Trump?


Elections are always fun for me.  Maybe it is the wannabe political science major in me coming out.  (No, no polysci - economics.  When I was picking a major the first George Bush was losing an election because he didn't understand basic economics kind of like a current President so I chose economics.)

In any case, intra-party elections might be the most fun.  I always enjoy how we call them family squabbles where we all come together at the conclusion of the race because that only occassionally happens and usually is the result of some other back room deal.

In any case, it is fun to watch Charlie Rangel complaining about a primary opponent using his race to further his cause given Charlie Rangel has made a career of using his race to further his cause (himself).  It is even more fun to watch President Clinton come to Rangel's defense, as the "first black President" and President Obama, the first black President, sitting on the sidelines.

It is also telling that a major union in the city is staying out of the primary.  When a party owns a seat it is usually shocking to see groups stay out of a race, but particularly with a Member of Congress who is as powerful as Charlie Rangel arguably is, or was.  I am not here to tell 32BJ SEIU how or who to support in the race, but I do find it interesting.

I should also note I hate using ethnicity to curry votes.  Are minorities telling me they can not represent me because I am white?  That is a silly thought and pubescent politics.  If you are a woman or black or brown or green you can represent me....IF...we are in alignment on issues.  Issues matter, not the color of your skin.

Senator Tim Scott is black, but would better represent my views than Charlie Rangel.  It isn't that Charlie is black, it's that he isn't for an honest, fair tax code, he supports abortion on demand, and I am not convinced of his support for Israel.  It doesn't mean Congressman Rangel is a bad guy, it just means he doesn't represent me well.

To the original point though, for a guy who has used his race in his Harlem district for years to stay in Congress for over forty years, I find it entertaining to watch him complain about others playing the same game when the district changes underneath him.



No comments:

Post a Comment