Monday, May 12, 2014

I Guess It Happened...




Okay, it has happened.

Hell has officially frozen over...or so I am guessing.  Bill Maher, the comic and liberal nutjob, has finally stumbled uncontrollabnly into the truth on an issue.

Please don't ask me how or why and I am confident he will screw this up somehow, but he is right. In the case of Donald Sterling he is right.

This case isn't about racism.  It is about who controls your speech and therefore your thinking.

Did Donald Sterling say things that were inappropriate?  Yes.  Did Donald Sterling say things that were reprehensible?  Of course.  Should he be denied the ability to own a team?  No.

Bill Maher speaks almost as a Free Speech advocate when he mentions a Washington Post editorial that says we should edit our thoughts.  "Even at home?" he quips

He raises an important point as the editorial continues "speaking one's mind isn't all it's cracked up to be."  How in the world do you come to that conclusion given you just wrote an opinion piece?  You know...speaking your own mind?

For me this is a simple issue.  If you don't like what Donald Sterling said, don't buy his product.  If you work for him companies and don't like how he behaves, find another job.  He isn't stepping on your rights by expressing his.  The last time I checked that was what the country was about.  I disagree with quite a bit of what he said, but isn't the idea to defend his ability to say it?

Perhaps things are so upside down that not only do Bill Maher and I agree, but speech isn't a freedom anymore.  I guess it might have happened...





No comments:

Post a Comment