Saturday, May 10, 2014

No No-Hitters Here, Only Curses


So a dinner party this evening interrupted what would have likely been a night of watching Disney Channel with my eldest daughter.  If somehow I had not been watching Charlie or Austin & Ally or whatever other show she had on, I might have found my way to the Red Sox - Rangers game.

Why blog about it though?  Well, when I started flipping channels and saw the possible no hit bid was in progress it was in the middle of debate between Harold Reynolds and co-anchors on the MLB Network.  Would Yu Darvish finally get a No Hitter?

The question that existed was whether or not a hit or an error had occurred in the seventh inning.  So does rule 10.12(A)1 apply in this case?  I guess I would say it does, but it doesn't.

For me, the important issue in this game is not the no hitter, but the providence of the Baseball gods as it were.  We here the phrase all the time, but it was mentioned, I believe by a Reynolds co-host that if the seventh inning ball that dropped was meant to be a hit to break up a Perfect Game, then another hit would happen; if not, Darvish would complete the game.

As fate would have it, Darvish went all the way to the last out against David Ortiz - the same player who had hit a ball that either fell in for a hit or should have been caught and an error was assigned earlier.  Truly the baseball deities would have a chance to weigh in and they did.

With two strikes, Ortiz belted a ground ball past two infielders (three were there for a common defensive shift we see all too often) into right field.  For a ground ball to make it past all three, I have to believe that the baseball deities who were watching deemed Darvish just a little short of perfection that night.

I might also note that Mac Engel of the For Worth Star-Telegram had a great piece on the Rangers and a possible curse brought on by their former team President Nolan Ryan.  I wonder if these results are from that curse.  In any case, this reminds me of another baseball axiom: Nothing is impossible, but nothing is easy.



No comments:

Post a Comment