Friday, May 16, 2014

On The Rocks?



This has to be one of my favorite songs from Sara Bareilles.  The good news for me is it has the same title as the Neil Diamond song, but isn't at all the same.

Unlike a lot of other music I listen to I am not sure if this song is about alcohol or the intoxicating effects of the wrong relationship, but Sara's voice, timbre, and delivery make the song intoxicating for me.

Here's a simplification of everything we're going though
You plus me is bad news

Too tired this time to deal with old suits you wear with your ties that won't bind.

Babe, baby believe me
If I stay it ain't gonna be easy
Okay we'll do it your way
But this is the last time
You'll hear the beautiful sound of love coming down
Love on the rocks.

I mean in this who world who has time for the runaround she speaks about in the next stanza?  And I wonder if Miss B might have spent a few moments reading through Fifty Shades of Grey with the line about "with your ties that won't bind?"  She talks about hot as Hell and cold as ice.  Sounds like one of those classic rocky relationships that people go through that is perfect despite its imperfections.


I guess is the question is will Miss B and whoever actually be over after this "last time" or will their music keep going?  Binding ties and old suits or otherwise?




No comments:

Post a Comment