Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Rivera's Fastball



A recent article about Mariano Rivera’s book, The Closer, notes that the Sandman gets that both Robinson Cano and Dustin Pedroia are capable ballplayers, but that if he could pick one, he would take Pedroia over former teammate Cano.

This is interesting for me given the depth of the hatred between the Yankees and Red Sox over the years.  Rivera I am sure will be (and should be) inextricably linked to the Yankees for eternity by his play and the personal services contract I am sure he has, but why fire shots at Cano?   I am guessing not because the Yankees wanted him to, but because he thinks Cano isn't as great as the contract he just got.  Rivera can be an appropriate judge of character and it appears Sandman is telling us that Cano is more focused on dollars and personal things that he is on team things.

It seems to me that Mo Rivera is not seeing the effort in Robinson Cano that would make him a Hall of Famer.  As Branch Rickey noted: "I don't vsre if I was a ditch-digger at a dollar a day.  I'd rather do my job better than the fellow next to me.  I'd want to be the best at whatever I do."

I have no idea of  Cano's future plans, but when one of the greats has constructive criticism for you, you should pay attention without the chin music.



No comments:

Post a Comment