Saturday, February 8, 2014

Impact


Some days you don't know the impact you have until you are gone.

Today I was speaking at the South Plains EMS Conference in Lubbock, Texas.  I had mentioned this in the Washington area a few days earlier and the immediate question I got from several people was did I know Jim "Major" Majorowski.

The quick answer is I had no idea who the man was, but the community of Lubbock does.  He and I sound like we might have been pretty similar in our lives.  He coached his daughter in soccer and I coach mine in baseball.  He and I both volunteered in our respective communities at our local fire departments and he and I have both been involved with EMS education and delivery.

I wonder sometimes if we keep in mind the people who serve us and we get to serve.  I think about the times when someone has been on my cot as we went to the hospital and they told me they were so-and-so, the wife, mother, brother of someone who had started the rescue squad I was working for.  I think Mr. Majorowski understood this and the impact on the community he had, not as a caregiver alone, but as an advocate for his patients.  Someone who would provide them good care, but a hug when needed.

It reminded me of a survival course I took once.  They told me a person can last three weeks without food, three days without water, but only three minutes without hope.  I suspect Major dispensed hope with all his might and I wonder if he understood how important it was to keep those strings of hope alive for the sick and the dying.  I suspect God has a response vehicle ready for you to keep offering hope to those in need.  Godspeed Mr. Majorowski. 




No comments:

Post a Comment