Wednesday, February 5, 2014

In The Bayou...Just Off New York Avenue


So you're covering 12 Leads, invasive cardiovascular waveforms, and just a little bit of advanced airway.  What do you do for a meal?  Well, in my case the answer, was head over to Acadiana about a block away from a class I was attending.

The result?  Well, four stars.

First, I drink what I drink so please don't suggest to me I have anything other than one of a very limited selections I choose.  Except, he did suggest a sazerac and maybe the combination of being in class all day made me for a brief instance think, why not?  I am not a rye whiskey drinker, but this was okay and a good start to the meal.

Additionally, their fried green tomatoes were perfectly fried.  They didn't have to go with the fourteen layers of panko breading to make their point...they had a great texture and the remoulade sauce was the perfect compliment.  Because I was trying to enjoy the menu I also had their sweet corn and crab soup.  Okay, so this was a little heavy for a quick meal, but it was going well above average.

Then my server decided to do it again and make a suggestion...shrimp and grits.  Ugh!  I never eat shrimp and grits, but again, something must have come over me, because I did.  Unlike most places where the shrimp are the shrimp and the grits are a combination of toothpaste and whatever, their roux was perfect.  It was gritless.  Instead they went with what was basically a grit cake, almost like cornbread.  Okay, so if I am offending your sensibilities I apologize...not my intention.

The thickness was just right, not too heavy, but not falling apart in the cream sauce either.  It really complimented the meal in a nice way.

The biggest problem with this place is it may have me accepting of server suggestions if they are bold enough to offer them.  For me, hat's off to Acadiana on a job well done.

If you are seeking a little bit of New Orleans on your next trip to Washington, DC, reservations can be made via Open Table.  The restaurant also accepts walk ups and is located at 901 New York Avenue, NW, Washington, DC 20001.  Enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment